There are a few things you can do to your house to make sure your getting the most out of your money.
- • Make sure you have loft & wall insulation in the house
- • Make sure you insulate your hot water tank
- • Make sure you have one of the new more effective thermostats – if you’re not sure call your energy provider to check. 10C lower on your room thermostat can save £10 a month on your heating bills, that’s £120 a year!
- • Invest in a draught excluder (or make your own from an old pair of tights!)
- • Don’t leave lights on, if you leave the room, turn the lights off
- • Make sure all of your bulbs are energy saving bulbs
- • Another option is to generate your own energy – solar panels are a popular option in the UK but there are other options available
- • Ring your energy provider – see if they can offer you a better, cheaper tariff
- • If they can’t provide you with a cheaper tariff – look at comparison websites & see if they can offer you a better deal
- • For unbiased advice ring the Energy Saving Trust – they may also be able to recommend grants & schemes that are available to you.
- - Energy Saving Trust: 0800 512 012 / http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk
- - uswitch.com
- - moneysupermarket.com/gas-and-electricity/the-energy-shop/
- - ukpower.co.uk