We spend £285,000,000 a year (yes that’s MILLION!) on red meat in Wales. We should be trying to use the cheaper cuts of the meat to save money, they’re just as tasty, but take a little longer to cook.
Shoulder of Pork with Cabbage & Pancetta
Pre-heat the oven to 180̊C
What you need:
- Casserole Pot with lid
- Shoulder of Pork, off the bone
- 2 pints of milk
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 sprigs of Rosemary (off the stalk)
- Some Thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- Salt & Pepper
For the Cabbage & Pancetta
- Saucepan or deep frying pan
- Savoy Cabbage
- Knob of butter
- Packet of cubed pancetta (or leftover bacon chopped up)
- Place the pork in the casserole pot.
- Add approx 2 pints of milk, or until the pork is covered.
- Add 4 cloves of garlic, 2 sprigs of rosemary (off the stalk), some thyme, 2 bay leaves and season with salt & pepper.
- Put the lid on the casserole pot and place it in the oven to cook for 2 hours on 180°C
- Finely slice the Savoy cabbage.
- Heat the pan; add the knob of butter & pancetta. Stir quickly, and then add the cabbage.
- Sweat the cabbage until it’s slightly softer.
- If needed add a little water to help it cook.
After 2 hours remove the pork from the oven, serve with the hot cabbage & pancetta and a few new potatoes.